We all know that getting in enough protein is important, but with so many protein supplements on the market - how do you know which one is the best?
This has been something I've been struggling with for a while.
I've tried a lot of protein powders over the years but nothing has really amazed me so far. I usually found the powder ones, while the flavors sounded promising, would usually end up tasting super artificial and have a weird after taste or loaded with carbs. The premixed ones would be too sweet and also have a weird after taste.
After using the 1st Phorm app for a few months I decided to give their protein powders a try. I had heard great things about them and figured why not try it out?
In this post I'll share with you everything you need to know about 1st Phorm protein powders, the difference between the two types they have, and if they're worth ordering.
- 1st Phorm makes high quality protein powders. Their Level 1 protein powder is meant for everyday use as a protein supplement, and Phormula 1 is for post recovery.
- The difference between Level 1 and Phormula 1 is that Level 1 is slow release protein while Phormula 1 is fast release - perfect for postworkout when you need protein powder fast.
- Both Level 1 and Phormula 1 are low carb protein options and are delicious
- 1st Phorm protein powders can be purchased on their website or in select retail locations
Table of Contents
Types of Protein Powders
The first thing I noticed when I went to order protein powder from 1st Phorm is that they sell 2 different types of powders: Level-1 and Phormula-1.
As I read through the descriptions, I learned that while both products are protein powders, they both have very specific uses.
Level 1 protein powder is their anytime protein powder. This is a sustained assimilation protein blend that can be used throughout the day, which is a fancy way of saying it's a slower release protein powder. This helps keep you full longer as well as it mimics how your body processes protein from whole food sources.
Level 1 also contains naturally occurring BCAA (or branch chain amino acids) and glutamine which help support muscle growth and recovery. Additionally, it contains digestive enzymes to help with digestion.
So with all that said, Level 1 is a protein powder that you can take any time of the day. They have a ton of different flavors - ranging from Chocolate to fruity like Strawberry Milkshake, as well as some unique ones like Blueberry Muffin. The nice thing is the protein powder is pretty versatile and can be used mixed in a shake, baked into recipes (protein waffles are amazing) or even mixed into your coffee.
My friend recommended I try the Caramel Latte Level-1 and add it into my coffee and I've been hooked ever since. I mix a scoop of it into my coffee every morning and it helps keep me full all morning. The powder mixes really easily and the taste is delicious and makes coffee super frothy and rich. I'm hooked on it!
Level-1 also comes in protein bars and cake cups to make quick and easy protein cupcakes!
- Level-1 is a high-quality protein supplement that delivers sustained assimilation of premium proteins, helping to prevent muscle breakdown and promote muscle repair and growth.
- It is made with the Level-1 Matrix, a blend of low-temperature processed whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and milk protein concentrate, which ensures bioavailability and preservation of protein fractions.
- Level-1 also contains naturally occurring branch chain amino acids and glutamine, which are essential for muscle tissue repair and growth, and it tastes delicious.
Unlike Level-1, the use of Phormula-1 is more specific. Phormula-1 is a fast-acting protein powder and should be taken within 30 minutes of your workout. It helps with muscle recovery, replenishing energy levels, and providing extra protein for building muscle.
Phormula-1 can be mixed with water so it's a really quick and easy way to get protein in fast after a workout. Phormula 1 has a few different flavors like Chocolate Mint Cookie (aka thin mint!) to fruity like Fruity Cereal.
Related Post: 1st Phorm Opti Greens 50 Review
My go to is the Chocolate Mint Cookie with water added in. It's very rich in flavor and tastes like a milkshake. The powder also mixes really well with water without leaving clumps of protein at the bottom or having an artificial after taste, which is always a win!
- Phormula-1 is a whey protein isolate that is of high quality and low in carbohydrates, making it ideal for those on a low-carb diet or those preparing for an event.
- It is formulated to be easily digested and has rapid assimilation qualities, which makes it an ideal pre and post-workout supplement for muscle repair and growth.
- Phormula-1 uses only the highest quality whey protein fractions and is designed for rapid assimilation, making it the best-tasting and best-mixing whey protein isolate on the market.
One of the most important things about both Phormula 1 and Level 1 is the nutrition. Here's how they compare (nutritional information might vary depending on the flavor, so make sure you double check before ordering).
Cost and Where to Buy
Phormula-1 is currently $64.99 per container and has 32 servings in each can. Level-1 is $59.99 per container and has 30 servings in each can.
Both Phormula-1 and Level-1 can be purchased online directly through their website, or at select retail stores. I haven't been able to find any local places so I just order online and have been very happy with my experience! They also provide free shipping if you order over $75.
Related Post: Opti Reds vs. Opti Greens: Which is Best For You?
While 1st Phorm doesn't offer any discount codes, they do offer a monthly discount on protein powders if you do a subscription. They offer subscriptions ranging from every 2 weeks up to every 6 weeks, and by signing up for that you can save about 8% a month on each protein powder.
Related Post: Do Runners Need Protein Shakes?
I use Level-1 in my morning coffee each day and ever since using I've noticed that I'm way less snacky. I used to start craving a mid morning snack even with the other protein powders I had tried in the past, but with Level-1 it's different. I'm just not as snacky after I have it and I do feel like I have more energy.
I've been taking Phormula-1 after both my strength training and running workouts and have found that my legs and muscles aren't as sore if I take it. I do the recommended post workout shake and add in ½ scoop of their Ignition recovery powder and aren't nearly as sore the next day. The few times that I've been traveling and forgot to pack enough Phormula-1 I've definitely noticed the difference in my post workout soreness.
Overall, both Level-1 and Phormula-1 have been really great additions to my supplement routine and I do highly recommend them. The flavors are delicious, they mix really well and they really do work! They are a little pricey compared to other protein powders on the market, however, I do think that it's worth the cost since they are a much higher quality product and actually work.
Here's a video that walks through how I use my protein powders with my Chicago Marathon training!
Overall, I really love the 1st Phorm protein powders. I feel like they have really made a difference in my recovery and energy levels post-workout. The flavors are delicious and they mix really well, plus they don't leave an artificial aftertaste which is always a bonus.
They would be great for anyone looking to add some extra protein into their diet or supplement routine without feeling weighed down by the flavor or ingredients. Although they are a bit pricier than some of the other protein powders on the market, I do believe that it's worth the cost if you're looking for quality and results.