Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Mini Muffins are packed with great ingredients that make this the perfect snack to grab on the go or have your kids
Table of Contents
Apple Oatmeal Mini Muffins are one of my favorite recipes to make because of how simple they are. The idea behind them came from when I was first starting solids with my daughter, I was in shock walking up and down the baby aisle and seeing how much added sugar was in all the baby snacks and granola bars! I set out to create a healthier snack for her and these mini muffins were born.
Table of Contents
Recipe Ideas and Tips for Apple Oatmeal Mini Muffins
The base for Apple Oatmeal Mini Muffins is really simple and can be mixed up to make other muffins. Some ideas:
- Add in different fruits like blueberries or raspberries. If you want them to be a little more like dessert, you could do chocolate chips.
- Add in a little healthy fats by adding in some almonds, walnuts, pecans or sunflower seeds.
- Swap out brown sugar for honey or agave
- Create regular size muffins by just baking a little longer – about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
Swapping oil for applesauce
I love baking with applesauce in place of oil because it makes recipes a little healthier and there’s no difference in taste or texture. Applesauce can be used in a 1 to 1 replacement for oil - so if a recipe calls for ½ cup oil, you could use ½ cup applesauce.
How to store or freeze Apple Oatmeal Mini Muffins
Once the muffins have fully cooled down, put them into an airtight container. The muffins will last on the counter for 2-3 days or in the fridge (my preferred method) for 5 days.
These muffins are also great to keep in the freezer! Once they’re completely cooled down you can put them in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. To defrost all you need to do is take them out of the freezer and leave in the fridge overnight or you can microwave in 30-second increments until defrosted.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin (24 cups) with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and mix. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, vanilla, milk and applesauce until well combined. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until full mixed. Stir in the apples.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the mini muffin cups. Bake uncovered for 14-16 minutes or until lightly brown and a tooth pick can be inserted int he middle and comes out clean.
Want to make these regular size muffins? Just increase bake time to 18-20 minutes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 mini muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 40mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g