Carrot cake muffins are a healthy twist on the classic dessert. The muffins are super moist and full of flavor but a fraction of the calories!
One of my favorite desserts is carrot cake and every spring I get a major craving for it. However, traditional carrot cake is typically high in calories and fat so I try to limit myself. I decided to try to make my own healthy version of carrot cake and these carrot cake muffins were born! They're super flavorful and moist and are only 70 calories each. They are guaranteed to satisfy any carrot cake cravings without the guilt! These muffins make a great Easter treat or just a tasty any time dessert.
Using Bananas instead of Oil
One way I like to make recipes healthier is to swap out canola and vegetable oil for mashed bananas. Bananas can be swapped in at a 1:1 ratio and don't have a strong banana taste.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Mix together some light cream cheese, vanilla and confectioner's sugar to make a sweet frosting
- Add in some walnuts or pecans for an extra crunch
- Add in some raisins for an extra burst of flavor
- Create regular size muffins instead of mini muffins by using a regular muffin tin and baking for 25 minutes
How to Store Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot cake muffins can be stored on the counter for 1-2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. For best results, store the muffins in an airtight container. The muffins can also be frozen for up to 6 months. To defrost, take out of the freezer 24 hours before serving and let defrost in the fridge.
Tools to Make Carrot Cake Muffins
More Muffin Recipes
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Once mixed, combine with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter evenly among the 24 cups.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before eating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information may vary depending on the brands you use. I used My Fitness Pal to calculate nutritional information.