Cheesy baked chicken is the perfect weeknight dinner. It's super cheesy and rich it's hard to believe it's healthy. Loaded with protein, serve with a side salad or some steamed veggies for a complete dinner!
Chicken is a staple in my house because it's so meal prep friendly. I like to buy chicken in bulk so I can make a few recipes with it (like chicken burrito bowls!).
This chicken recipe came about when I was tired of making the same old baked chicken and had a lot of leftover cheese. I tried combining the two (chicken and cheese is such a great combo!), adding a few spices and greek yogurt to hold everything together and it came out amazing!
Sides to Serve with Cheesy Baked Chicken
This chicken is versatile and can be paired with quite a few different side dishes. A few of my favorites are
- Steamed Veggies
- Sweet potatoes
- Side salad
Leftovers could also be served in a sandwich or wrap for lunch the next day!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure here.
How to store leftover Cheesy Baked Chicken
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to 3 days. I don't recommend freezing leftovers.
Recommended Kitchen Tools
Tips and Tricks
A few tips and tricks to making this recipe:
- Allow the chicken to soak in the milk for as long as possible. This makes the chicken come out super moist and flavorful.
- Swap out the mozzarella for another cheese like asiago
- Add in some additional spices like cayenne to give it a little kick
- This chicken is best served right after brining so I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1lb - 1 ½lbs)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt (I like Chobani)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut each chicken into large pieces, about 3-4 pieces each. Place them into a bowl and pour milk over. Allow to soak in the bowl for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the greek yogurt, ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken breast in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Evenly coat the chicken with the greek yogurt mixture. Sprinkle on top the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
This is great served with a light side like a salad or steamed veggies!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g