These chicken sausage egg muffins are the perfect breakfast. They're easy to make (meal prep friendly), quick to prep on busy mornings and are protein packed to keep you full all morning.
Egg muffins are one of my favorite meal prep breakfasts. They're really easy to make, delicious, and the base is versatile so you can add in different toppings you have on hand.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more information.
Recipe Ideas and Tips for Egg Muffins
The base for the egg muffins is really simple so you can mix and match with different ingredients. Some ideas:
- Add in some veggies like tomatoes, spinach or mushrooms
- Add in different proteins like ham, bacon or shredded cheese to boost the protein even more
- Serve them as part of a breakfast sandwich with a toasted english muffin and cheese
How to Store or Freeze Chicken Sausage Egg Muffins
Egg muffins are great for meal prepping because they can either be stored in the refrigerator or frozen.
Storing in the Refrigerator
To store in the fridge, make sure the egg muffins are completely cooled (about an hour or two). Once cooled, place them in an airtight container. Egg muffins will last 4-5 days in the fridge.
Once you're ready to reheat, place them on a microwave safe plate and microwave for about 45 seconds, or until warmed through.
Storing in the Freezer
To store in the freezer, make sure the muffins are completely cooled (about an hour to two). Once cooled, place in a freezer safe bag and seal. Egg muffins will last for 4-5 months.
Once you're ready to eat, take them out of the freezer and place in a refrigerator for 12 hours to defrost. When you're ready to eat microwave them on a microwave-safe plate for about 45 seconds, or until warmed through.
More Breakfast Recipes?
Favorite Meal Prep Tools
New to meal prepping and making food ahead? Here are a few of my favorite tools:
- Aluminum baking sheet
- Silicon muffin cups
- PrepDeck meal prep all in one set
- Pyrex glass containers with lids
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 chicken breakfast sausage links (I like Applegate), diced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Spray a cupcake tin or silicone muffin cups or with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, egg whites, water, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Once mixed, add in the chicken sausage.
- Evenly spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake tins.
- Bake the egg muffins for 22-24 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g