Chicken Taco Wontons “Cupcakes” are a simple healthy dish that is great for meal prep. All the flavors of your favorite tacos packed into perfectly portioned cupcake form.
Confession: I ate these for an entire year straight for lunch. This is one of those dishes that you never get sick of and look forward to eating for lunch. I’m a big fan of muffin meals because they’re perfectly portioned and easy to grab and go (plus they’re pretty cute LOL).
(this post probably contains affiliate links. You can read the long boring disclosure here)
Tips to make the recipe
A few tips to making chicken taco wontons:
- If you can’t find wonton wrappers (usually found in the produce section at the grocery store) you can also use egg roll wrappers. If using egg roll wrappers you’ll just have to cut down the size to make it fit in the cupcake sheet
- Add in a little hot sauce or jalapeños to give them an extra spicy kick
- Serve with some fun toppings! My favorites are guacamole and sour cream
Tools to make Chicken Taco Wontons “Cupcakes”
How to store chicken taco wontons “Cupcakes”
The wontons should be stored in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to 5 days. To serve, I recommend microwaving them for about 1 minute to a minute and a half
Can I freeze the “cupcakes”?
I do not recommend freezing
Can I swap the chicken for turkey?
Yes! The chicken can be swapped out for ground turkey.
More healthy lunch and dinner recipes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 4T taco seasoning
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup salsa (I like to use medium chunky)
- 12 tsp salsa con queso
- 4 oz reduced fat mexican cheese
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray and place 1 wonton wrapper in each container (12 total). Set aside
- In a large skillet, heat the pan to medium heat. Add in the ground chicken and brown.
- Once browned turn off the heat and mix in the taco seasoning, salsa, and black beans.
- Place 1 tsp of the salsa con queso in each of the wonton wrappers, then add a layer of chicken bean mixture (use only half of the mixture). Sprinkle about half of the cheese on each of the tacos. Add 1 more wonton wrapper to each, followed by the remaining taco mixture and then the remainder of cheese
- Bake the taco wontons for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let cool for 3-5 minutes before serving. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 525mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g