Is there anything better than an easy to make meal that’s healthy for you? I started making these chicken burrito bowls a few years ago and after a few tweaks they’ve become my lunch staple – I’ve actually had them almost everyday for a year now! I really like this recipe because it’s so easy to make and very versatile – the salsa chicken makes a great base for burrito bowls, wraps, or even just on it’s own (this is Aubrey’s favorite!)
I usually make this recipe on Sundays in my slow cooker, but lately I haven’t had as much time on the weekends and have switched over to using my instant pot. Both ways come out great!
To make these burrito bowls, I’ll take about ½ cup rice (or lately I’ve been into riced veggies – butternut squash is my current fave!), put on top ¾ cup of the salsa chicken, and then top with ¼ shredded Mexican cheese. You could also add on other toppings like avocado, corn, or sour cream – the possibilities are endless!
Easy and Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 1 lb bonesless, skinless chicken breast
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- corn, drained optional
- black beans, drained and rinsed optional
- Place chicken breast in a single layer in either the instant pot or slow cooker
- Pour the taco seasoning over the chicken
- Pour the entire can of salsa over the chicken – make sure it's all covered!
- If adding any additional add-ins (black beans or corn) mix into the salsa
- If using instant pot, close and seal instant pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes (if chicken is frozen, cook for 22 minutes). If using a slow cooker, cover and set on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours
- Once done, take chicken out and shred. Put back into the salsa and serve with your favorite sides and toppings!
Pin for later
What’s your favorite lunch?