These homemade bagels are an easy recipe that feature a handful ingredients you more than likely already have in your pantry. They’re light and fluffy and taste just like classic New York bagels with a fraction of the calories!
New York bagels are one of my guilty pleasures. When I was in college, we had a bakery nearby that made the best New York bagels. I became HOOKED! The bagels were light and fluffy but crispy on the outside. I was sad when I moved to Minnesota that I couldn’t get them anymore. But after a few tweaks, I was able to create my own at home!
Tips for Bagels
- If the dough is too sticky, add in a little more flour.
- If the dough is too dry, add in a little more greek yogurt
The great thing about homemade bagels is that you can mix and match seasonings to your liking. Some of my favorite variations:
- Use Trader Joe’s Everything Seasoning on top to create Everything Bagels (can’t find it? This is my favorite homemade recipe)
- Create a sweeter bagel by omitting the garlic and onion powder and adding in cinnamon and a little sugar
How to serve bagels
These bagels are great on their own or can be toasted and served with:
- To keep it low cal, try using Laughing Cow spreadable cheese instead of cream cheese. My favorite is pepperjack!
- This is great with this easy homemade cream cheese
- Create an egg sandwich and add on a fried egg and cheese
How to Airfry Bagels
These bagels can also be prepared in the airfryer! If using an airfryer, set to 425 degrees and cook for about 8-10 minutes. I recommend only airfryer 4-5 at a time so they can have space to cook properly.
How to Store Bagels
These bagels will stay fresh on the counter for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
How to Freeze Bagels
To freeze bagels, store them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months. To defrost, place them in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.
More Healthy Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Tools to make bagels
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 egg, scrambled
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic and onion powders. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the greek yogurt and mix together until a dough is formed.
- Create 12 mini dough balls, about 2oz each. Roll each ball into a rope and join the ends to form a bagel.
- Brush the bagels with egg wash and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the bagels are golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 bagel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g