When I meal plan, I like to make meals that will satisfy my entire family. Aubrey's been getting more selective with what she'll eat lately (she has a lot of opinions for an 18 month old!) so we've been getting back to basics and doing more pasta based meals.
This turkey chili macaroni and cheese is a hit in my house not only with Aubrey but also with my husband. It's a filling one pot dish that's super cheesy, full of flavor and surprisingly healthy and low calorie! It's also an easy dinner to make on a busy weeknight and best of all is easy to clean up since it can all be made in 1 pot.
For Aubrey I serve hers with a little extra cheese on top, but for my husband and I we add on toppings like jalapeños, avocado, and sour cream.
- 16 oz ground turkey (I like 99% lean)
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 15 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz black beans
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with green chili (I like Rotel)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz refried beans
- 1 ½ cup water
- 8 oz elbow pasta
- ¾ cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, brown the ground turkey (breaking it up as it cooks), about 5-6 minutes. Once browned, add in the onion, garlic, red pepper and taco seasoning until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and add in the tomato sauce, water, chicken broth, black beans, diced tomatoes,and refried beans. Bring to a boil.
- Once the pot comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and put a cover on the pot for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, bring the pot to a medium high heat and add in the elbow pasta. Cook according to instructions to al dente, about 6-7 minutes.
- Once the pasta is done, turn off heat and stir in cheese. Let sit about 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 14gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
Nutritional information was calculated by My Fitness Pal and may vary depending on your ingredients