Overnight oats are a quick and easy way to make a healthy breakfast ahead of time. Simply mix together some rolled oats, milk, protein powder, and any other desired mix-ins, and let them sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you'll have a delicious and satisfying meal that's ready to go! In this post I'll share with you how to make overnight oats with protein powder, my favorite recipe combinations, how to store them and more!
Table of Contents
What Are Overnight Oats?
Overnight oats are a type of breakfast oatmeal that is made by soaking rolled oats in milk (or another liquid) overnight. This allows the oats to soften and absorb the liquid, resulting in a creamy and delicious breakfast that is ready to eat as soon as you wake up!
There are endless possibilities when it comes to flavoring your overnight oats. You can add in fruit, nuts, spices, and of course, protein powder! Adding protein powder to your oats is a great way to boost the nutrient content and make sure you're starting your day off on the right foot.
Why Add Protein Powder to Overnight Oats?
Protein is an essential nutrient that plays a role in everything from muscle growth to immunity. It's especially important to consume enough protein first thing in the morning, as it can give you sustained energy throughout the day. I know on the days I don't get enough protein in the morning I tend to be extra hungry!
I like to add protein powder to my overnight oats because it's an easy way to get in my protein, and it makes the oats taste good!
How to Make Overnight Oats with Protein Powder
1. Add ½ cup of oats to a mason jar
2. Add a scoop of protein powder. I like to use vanilla or chocolate protein powder for a little extra flavor, but you can use any kind or flavor or protein powder you like.
3. Add ½ cup of milk. Any kind of milk (dairy or non-dairy) will work, but I prefer almond milk for its nutty flavor.
4. Mix in any desired mix-ins. My favorites are chopped nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips, but feel free to get creative!
5. Once everything is mixed together, transfer it to the fridge and let sit for at least 12 hours.
6. In the morning, give your oats a good stir and enjoy! If they're too thick for your liking, you can add a little more milk before eating.
7. Enjoy as is or top with fresh fruit, nut butter, or anything else you like!
To make this gluten-free, simply make sure the labels on the ingredients you're using say gluten-free! This recipe can also be vegan by using a non-dairy milk (like almond milk or coconut milk) and vegan protein powder.
Nutritional information will vary depending on the type of protein powder, oats, and other mix-ins you add. My usual chocolate overnight oatmeal comes out to be:
20 grams of Protein
42 grams of Carbohydrates
8.5 grams of Fat
6 grams of Fiber
The best way to figure out your own nutritional information is to use a recipe calculator like the one on Cronometer.
Related Post: Protein Packed Ninja Creami Ice Cream
How to Serve Overnight Oats
Serving overnight oats is super easy! Simply take the container out of the fridge and enjoy! I like to let mine sit out for a few minutes before eating, but it's up to you . You could also add in more toppings like fresh fruit, nut butters, or chia seeds before eating too!
You can eat them cold or heat them up if you prefer. To heat them up, simply microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have any leftovers, simply store them in a jar or container with a lid and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Related Post: Vegan Peppermint Mocha Protein Shake
Overnight Oats Tips and Tricks
I've been making overnight oats for a few years and here are my favorite tips and tricks when it comes to making them and preparing them.
Mason Jars are the Best Containers - I originally thought this was just an Instagram or Pinterest thing, but mason jars have turned out to be my favorite containers to store overnight oats in. They're durable, easy to clean, and easy to stack in my fridge. I got a set like this on Amazon, these labels and I also got these reusable lids that are a little more secure than the ones they came with.
Pre-made Protein Shakes Work Too - If you prefer pre-made protein shakes instead of powder, you could also use those too! My favorite to use is Chocolate Fairlife.
You Can Prep Overnight Oats Ahead of Time - If you want to be extra prepared or meal prep overnight oats ahead of time, you can make them up to 5 days in advance. Just store them in the fridge until you're ready to eat them!
My Favorite Brands - I've been making overnight oats for a while and my favorite protein powder to use is Ascent Protein (you can find it on their site here or at Whole Foods). I find the protein powder mixes really well, and I especially love the flavor it adds. My favorite powder to use is their chocolate peanut butter!
Favorite Overnight Oat Mix-ins
Here are a few of my favorite overnight oat mix-ins:
Fresh or Frozen fruit
Maple syrup or honey
Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice
Yogurt (or greek yogurt to thicken it up a bit!)
Any combination of the above!
If you want to make sure your oats are extra creamy, try adding in a mashed banana or some yogurt. These will help to thicken the oats and make them even more delicious!
If you're in a time crunch, one of my favorite things to do is to buy pre-mixed oat blends. My favorite blend is Trader Joe's Rolled Oats with Ancient Grains. The mix already has amaranth, quinoa, chia seeds and ground flax seeds added so I just have to add my protein powder and liquid and it's good to go.
Related Post: Easy Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 scoop of your choice of protein powder
- Optional: toppings like nut butters, fruits, berries, etc.
- Add ½ cup of oats to a mason jar
- Add a scoop of protein powder. I like to use vanilla or chocolate protein powder for a little extra flavor, but you can use any kind or flavor or protein powder you like.
- Add ½ cup of milk. Any kind of milk (dairy or non-dairy) will work, but I prefer almond milk for its nutty flavor.
- Mix in any desired mix-ins. My favorites are chopped nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips, but feel free to get creative!
- Once everything is mixed together, transfer it to the fridge and let sit for at least 12 hours
- In the morning, give your oats a good stir and enjoy! If they're too thick for your liking, you can add a little more milk before eating.
- Enjoy as is or top with fresh fruit, nut butter, or anything else you like!
Overnight oats can be enjoyed hot or cold!
This recipe can be made gluten free by making sure the ingredient labels say gluten- free.
This recipe can be made to be vegan by using any non-dairy milk.
If you prefer to use a premade protein shake, skip the milk and the scoop of protein powder and just pour the protein shake in!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 jar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 8.5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 0gProtein: 20g
Overnight oats are a healthy and delicious way to start your day! With just a few simple ingredients, you can make this satisfying make ahead breakfast and enjoy it on-the-go. Give this recipe a try and see how easy and delicious overnight oats can be!
Are you an overnight oats fan? I'd love to hear your favorite combinations in the comments below!