Slow cooker wild rice soup is an incredibly creamy and hearty dish that's perfect for a cold, winter night! It's the perfect cozy all in one meal that's loaded with delicious seasonal vegetables and spices.
- How to Make Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
- Nutrition Information
- How to Store Leftovers
- Is Wild Rice Soup Good for Meal Prep?
- What is a Slow Cooker?
- Can I Freeze Wild Rice Soup?
- Is Wild Rice Soup Vegan?
- Recipe Variations
- Menu Ideas and Recommended Side Dishes
- More Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Print Recipe
- Pin for Later
- Wild Rice Blend or wild rice. Make sure the package calls for cooking at least 45 minutes
- Vegetables: carrot, onions, celery, butternut squash (fresh or frozen)
- Spices: oregano, thyme, garlic powder, seasoned salt, black pepper, bay leaf
- Vegetable broth
How to Make Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
Combine all ingredients except the vegetable broth and bay leaf in the slow cooker. Stir everything together, and then slowly pour in the broth and add the bay leaf.
Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 ½, or until the rice is cooked through and the vegetables soften.
Remove the bay leaf and serve!
Serving Size 1
Number of Servings 8
Calories 217 - Total Fat 7 grams - Saturated Fat 2 grams - Trans Fat 0 grams - Unsaturated Fat 3 grams - Cholesterol 18 milligrams - Sodium 555 milligrams - Carbohydrates 30 grams - Fiber 7 grams - Sugar 6 grams - Protein 10 grams
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, cook in the microwave in 1 minute increments until it reaches the desired temperature. Stir in between cooking so it heats evenly.
Is Wild Rice Soup Good for Meal Prep?
Wild rice soup is a great meal to meal prep! Cook as directed and then portion into 8 containers so it's easy to grab for lunch or dinner during the week. I like to use mason jars to store soup in my fridge because they don't take up a ton of space (and look nice!).
Looking for more tips on meal prep? Check out my ultimate meal prep guide here!
What is a Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker (also known as a crock pot) is a counter top kitchen appliance that's used to slowly simmer food to cook. Slow cookers are great because generally they're used for "set it and forget it" meals when you just dump ingredients in, turn on the slow cooker and let it sit for a set amount of time.
I like to use this Hamilton Beach slow cooker because it can be programmed to a certain time and automatically switch to keep warm when it's done cooking!
Can I Freeze Wild Rice Soup?
To freeze leftovers, allow the wild rice soup to completely cool and then put the soup into an airtight freezer bag (like this one)
Is Wild Rice Soup Vegan?
Yes, this wild rice soup recipe is vegan.
- If you don't have chickpeas on hand, you could swap out the chickpeas with white beans (or skip completely!)
- To make this into a chicken and wild rice soup, add in ½ pound diced chicken breast with the ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 ½ hours.
Menu Ideas and Recommended Side Dishes
Wild Rice Soup is a hearty dish that's perfect as a main course. I like to pair it with some crackers or a side of bread.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 ribs of celery, diced
- 12 oz butternut squash, diced into small cubes (you can also use frozen)
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup wild rice blend, uncooked (make sure the cook time is 45 minutes on the package)
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- In a slow cooker, combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker except the broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Slowly pour the vegetable broth and add the bay leaf.
- Seal the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 ½) or until the rice is cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g