Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies are an easy and fun no bake dessert that’s perfect for the holiday! Chex cereal is coated with delicious chocolate and creamy peanut butter mix, then coated with powdered sugar and topped with M&Ms and sprinkles. It’s the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
Muddy Buddies are my weakness! They’re the perfect mix of chocolate and peanut butter that’s so delicious and not too sweet. Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) is the easiest no bake dessert recipe that uses common pantry ingredients that you probably already have on hand! Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies are a fun festive twist on the classic that’s a perfect way to celebrate the holiday.
For this recipe you’ll need:
Rice Chex Cereal
Peanut Butter (or your preferred nut butter)
Red, White and Pink M&Ms (I like to buy the Valentine’s version of M&Ms so it’s already sorted and ready to go)
How to Make
Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments (stir in between) until completely melted (it took me about a minute for it to completely melt)
Pour the chex cereal into a large sealable bag like a Ziploc bag, and then add the peanut butter chocolate mix. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is completely covered.
Open the bag and add in about half of the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is covered. Pour in the remainder of the powdered sugar, seal the bag and shake again.
Pour the cereal mix into a bowl and mix in the M&Ms and serve!
Looking for more Muddy Buddies recipes? Check out my No Bake S’Mores Muddy Buddies Recipe here.
Number of Servings 20
Total Fat 11 grams – Saturated Fat 4 grams – Trans Fat 0 grams – Unsaturated Fat 6 grams – Cholesterol 1 milligrams – Sodium 145 milligrams – Carbohydrates 35 grams – Fiber 2 grams – Sugar 24 grams – Protein 4 grams
What are Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) are a dessert that is believed to have originated in the Midwest. It’s an American dessert that’s made up of Chex cereal coated with peanut butter and chocolate – or sometimes nutella – and then covered with powdered sugar. Yum!
Recipe Tips and Variations
This recipe can be customized with different mix ins! Some of my favorites to add in are:
Mini White Chocolate
Mini Pretzel Sticks – these are good to add in with the chex cereal so they also get coated with chocolate and peanut butter! You may have to add a little more chocolate chips and peanut butter to coat.
Nutella – swap out the peanut butter for Nutella to give it a sweet hazlenut twist
I find the easiest – and cleanest – way to coat everything is to use a Ziploc freezer bag to coat (just shake it!), but you could also use a large mixing bowl.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers (if there are any 🙂 ) should be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
This recipe can also be frozen for up to a year! To freeze, store in an airtight freezer bag (like this one) and store in the freezer for a year.
More Dessert Recipes
- Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments (stir in between) until completely melted (it took me about a minute for it to completely melt)
- Pour the chex cereal into a ziploc bag, and then add the peanut butter chocolate mix. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is completely covered.
- Open the bag and add in about half of the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is covered. Pour in the remainder of the powdered sugar, seal the bag and shake again.
- Pour the cereal mix into a bowl and mix in the M&Ms and serve!
- The chocolate and peanut butter can also be melted on the stove top. Add them into a sauce pan and set on low heat, stirring until melted (about 5 minutes)
- To make this recipe extra fun, you could also add in mini marshmallows and/or sprinkles!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g